The history of the
The fort is drafted by the Byzantines in the tenth century A.D. Upon
its ruins the Venetians built their imposing Castle (1250-1270).
The castle is the shield and the watchtower of the Messinian gulf an
utmost creation of the Venetian art and ethics. A glorious crown of the
old thalassocrat power that crowns and adorns the gulf. A veteran now,
it's keeping for centuries now its weather's eye open upon the location
that loved be with.
In the Castle there are many spots where there are vaulted cisterns,
built with well-hewn megaliths, which provided water to those who were
The castle's storerooms, known as Bastamia, are involved in legends
since no one ever managed to reach their unbeaten depths. At the
Southeastern part of the Castle the massive fortification is erected,
which is called Big Ntapia. Upon its bulwarks, between the sea and the
sky, Panayiotis Lachanas, the anchorite, known with pen name P. Glyfos,
composed and psalmed with wit and faith.
Reference: ARAK ADV. Koroni, Lady of the South - Summer Guide
Die Bastamia sind die Vorratskammern der Burg, sagenumwoben, da niemand
je ihre unergründeten Tiefen erreicht hat. Im nordwestlichen
Teil der Burg steht auch der schwerste Festungsbau, die "Megali Dapia."
Auf seinen Schutzwehren, zwischen Meer und Himmel dichtete und
rezitierte der Asket Panagiotis Lachanas-Kyprianos, alias P. Glyphos,
Geist und Glauben.
Quelle: ARAK ADV. Koroni, Lady of the South - Summer Guide